Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tom Cruise for W Magazine June 2012

Tom Cruise covers W Magazine's June 2012 issue, flanked by models Abbey Lee Kershaw and Edita Vilkeviciute. Cruise channels Stacee Jaxx, the character he plays in the upcoming Rock of Ages.



On singing and dancing as a kid: “You know what? I did the scene from Risky Business around the house. I would sing Bob Seger — my mother worked, my sisters were out, and I’d turn the music up. I learned how to dance watching Soul Train. I noticed that if a guy could dance, he’d get a lot of attention and girls would want to dance with him. I worked very hard at imitating those moves.” 

On musicals: “[My wife] Kate loves musicals. She sings and dances, and we kind of went through the history of musicals together. And Suri loved Hairspray. With kids, you watch everything over and over; I watched Hairspray 15 times with Suri. I thought Adam Shankman did a great job directing the movie, so I arranged to meet him and said, ‘Where’s our musical?’ He came back and said, Rock of Ages.’ We went and saw it in L.A., and for me … I didn’t know how to play the character like that. I had to find my own Stacee Jaxx.” 

On preparing for the role: “I needed to find out if I could really sing! Ron [Anderson, formerly a vocal coach for Axl Rose] came in and worked with me. And then I had to learn how to play guitar. I’m very good at air guitar – and air drums – but I had never played an actual guitar. After working for weeks on Stacee’s technical skills, I was thinking about the character, and I said, ‘You know what? I need a monkey.’ Adam said, ‘What the f— are you talking about?’ And I said, ‘I’m serious – I need a monkey’ [laughs]. When Stacee’s not onstage, he’s kind of sad. And I thought, This guy has to have a monkey that’s his best friend. Adam found this baboon. He sent me the baboon’s audition tape, and I said, ‘The baboon’s name has to be Hey Man’ [laughs]. Stacee Jaxx doesn’t work without Hey Man.”









Credit @ W Magazine

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...